Panasonic HPX 170 & HPX 175 Repair
1) SD Card slot has card stuck in it or will not accept an SD card. This requires the removal and replacement of the SD card board. A new board is about $215 for the part. This board is not broken down in to individual parts!
2) Camera is dead, will not power on. Hopefully it is just a blown fuse. Sometimes the power supply is still bad after the fuse has been replaced. A new power supply board is $325. Sometimes the digital main board is bad. This board is almost $2400, so few people will pay for this repair. If I have a refurbished or used board I can discount it to about $850. Still too expensive for most people! Of course if there is moisture exposure to your camera or any board or multiple boards in the camera could be the problem! Not good for you or for me!
3) Microphone inputs are dead or microphone XLR inputs are noisy when XLR’s are wiggled. The XLR connectors are worn out. The XLR connectors are too labor intensive to be replaced, Mic Pre #1 is about $170 and Mic Pre #2 is about $195. I have many nice used mice preamps for much less! If the XLR jack case is damaged it is $195 parts and labor to replace it, not including any damage to the mic preamp boards. Impact damage to the XLR jack casr and XLR mic preamps are the biggest issue I see with this camera!
4) Headphone jack, HDMI port, composite video port, component video port, or camera focus/iris is dead, intermittent or has a headphone or other plug broken off in it. Replace the neccessary boards. Most boards are around $75-155 each.
5) Broken battery compartment. One or more tabs are broken on battery compartment and battery will not hold securely. Replace the battery case. Part is about $75. It is kind of a big deal and requires complete dissassembly of the camera. Total with parts and labor $150.
6) SDI video output is dead or intermittent. Replace the SDI video jack and/or the SDI video cable. Parts and labor are about $175. In some cases the digital main board is bad. That hurts us both!!
7) P2 Cards are not reading or writing and/or the USB control is not working. Replace the camera P2 boards. Connector is not reliably replaces by soldering as it breaks off the traces on the board itself. A new board is about $450. I have plenty of nice used ones for about $295. If you have a broken latch on the P2 board I charge $150 parts and labor to replace the latch.
8) Camera side LCD is dead or intermittent. This could be as simple as replacing the LCD hinge (parts and labor $250). If the LCD display is cracked it must be replaced. Part is about $725! I can install a nice used LCD for $495 parts and labor or $425 cash.
9) Electronic viewfinder (EVF) is dead or has impact damage. Sorry, I can not even begin to estimate this over the phone. There are almost 30 different parts to the viewfinder and only after I see the damage can I estimate it. Typical repairs are around $300, but can go much higher if the LCD display is also damaged. I am still the best, the fastest and the cheapest person you will find to do these repairs. Over 15 years of experience doing them!!
10) Damage from impacts cannot be reliably estimated without seeing the camera!!
11) Damage from dust, sand, and moisture exposure to the camera cannot be estimated without seeing the camera!
12) Front lens is scratched, pitted, jammed dead, or whatever! These lenses are sealed and greased and cannot be “cleaned”!! his lens is only available as a complete assembly with the optical image sensors included for the unbelievably low price of about $1720!! Cheaper to buy a new camera!! What were they thinking?!! On rare occasions I can do a cash only deal for $1500 on a new lens installed an aligned. Used lenses go like hot cakes!
13) Camera zooms by itself. This is a bad board. The board is $150 and $95 to install.
14) Camera backfocus is poor. I charge $250 to do a complete lens alignment to factory specifications on your camera. To do this you need all of the factory jigs and factory software programs. Only SCE and the factory can do this right. I’m not lying!
15) Front microphone case is popped out of housing in top of case or broken. If it is not too bad and the mic case is not damaged, I can piece it together and pop it back in for $150. If the case is damaged a new case is about $75. Labor to install is $95.
16) IEEE (Firewire or 1394) control is not functioning. This is almost always a bad digital main board. Often it is a bad digital main board and a bad rear jack board (another $150 for the part!). If you really want it repaired the best I can do it $700 or $595 cash.
17) Firmware updates. SCE highly recommends that you always install the latest firmware in your camera for optimum performance. Most common camera problems are solved by the factory with firmware updates. SCE installs the latest firmware in your camera at no charge as part of the service. We also perform a complete function check of the camera and clean it internally with air.